Thursday, May 12, 2011

Indians softball adds player from Fort Dorchester

The senior was joined by her current coach, future coach, family and friends for a signing celebration at Fort Dorchester April 26. USC Salkehatchie coach Tatjana Slawson, a Fort Dorchester graduate, said Coleman is a perfect fit for her program.
“I’ve known Alisha since she was about 6 so it’s not like she just caught my eye,” Slawson said. “But she really impressed me at the Lexington tournament this year. She pitched and played other defensive positions and hit the ball well. I’m looking forward to her bringing in leadership as a freshman as well as a good bat and the ability to help us in the circle. She is just an all-around good athlete.”

Coleman said choosing a college wasn’t easy, but she feels good about her choice. “I like that the classes are smaller there than at a lot of colleges,”she said. “Also, I know coach Slawson so she will be able to help me with anything I need.” Coleman, who earned All-region honors last year and was a Patriot captain this season, is slated to be a starter for the Indians, who will have two pitchers move on at the end of this school year. “This summer I’m going to do a lot of individual pitching sessions to help get my mental focus where it needs to be,” Coleman said. “I’m excited about going to the next level so I want to make sure I’m prepared to compete.” She plans to major in business.

By Roger Lee
Summerville Journal Scene