Wednesday, June 8, 2011

One Signing Moment: Lady Gators Bohnenstiehl ready for next level



photo by Rob Gantt


Goose Creek senior outfielder Nicole Bohnenstiehl (center) has signed a national letter of intent to play softball for USC Salkehatchie in Allendale. She is joined in the photo by mother Janine, brother Devin and GCHS softball coach Kerry Grimm.

The pieces began to fall in place last season for Nicole Bohnenstiehl and now she’s moving on to the next level.The Goose Creek High School senior center fielder has signed a letter of intent with junior college USC Salkehatchie.“Last year, I started to see what I was capable of,” said Bohnenstiehl, who began getting some starts in the outfield for the Lady Gators as a sophomore. “I really started to track the ball well and began covering a lot of ground. I started hitting the ball better, too.”This past season, she batted .294 and knocked in 11 runs for Goose Creek’s softball team. The Lady Gators finished second in Region 7-AAAA and hosted a Class AAAA playoff game.“I’m very excited for Nicole,” said GCHS coach Kerry Grimm, who just completed her first season. “I don’t think she thought this was possible a couple of years ago but she really started to improve. She’s got one of the best ranges I’ve seen. “She’s got a unique batting style but it gets the job done.”The Lady Indians play in Region X of the NJCAA against other junior colleges from South Carolina and North Carolina. They are coached by Tatjana Slawson and former Lady Gator Alyssa Chambers is an assistant coach.Bohnenstiehl’s signing is the first in the Grimm era.“We had a great season,” Bohnenstiehl said. “For me, it was one of the best seasons I’ve ever had. Coach Grimm is an awesome coach.”But now, Bohnenstiehl has to leave GCHS and Grimm behind for the Lady Indians, a move she’s better prepared to make after the last couple of seasons.“I’m definitely going to down there and try to be a leader,” she said. “I’m going to go down there and give it my all. I’m going to try to leave all the nerves back home.”She chose Salkehatchie over Morris College in Sumter. She plans on doing two years there then transferring to a bigger school in hopes of playing at an even higher level of softball.
“I’ve got to thank my mom (Janine),” Bohnenstiehl said. “She always supported me and pushed me to go further.”

By Rob Gantt
The Gazette