Saturday, July 27, 2013

Orangeburg Prep's Graves signs with USC Salkehatchie


USC Salkehatchie head coach Bubba Dorman sat in the stands of historic Mirmow Field looking on as the Orangeburg sun was setting. And for good reason.
The Indians skipper had two of his newest signees on the field for Post 4. Bamberg-Ehrhardt's Chris Sweatman signed a little over a month ago, but he also was able to enlist the services of Orangeburg Prep's Evan Graves.
"I got the offer from Bubba Dorman," Graves said following the Post 4 doubleheader. "He came to see me pitch. He said he wants me to come pitch down there and possibly hit, too. That's what gave me a little more incentive because I might get a chance to hit, too, and maybe be a two-way player. That's kind of been what I wanted to do. I got the offer. So I took it."
Graves was an instrumental part in helping the Indians make it to the playoffs and nearly knocking off top-seeded Hammond. After forcing a decisive Game 3 in their home ballpark, the Indians were able to rally from being down 3-0 before falling just short on that gloomy Saturday afternoon to the Skyhawks.
"They're a really good ball club," Graves said. "They ended up winning the state championship. We were one out away and we were close, but we just couldn't quite get it done."
Still, Graves leaves behind an OPS athletics program with fond memories as he prepares to play for a new tribe.
"There are a lot of guys I'm going to miss playing with there, especially coaches that I've been playing for my whole life," Graves said. "I really am going to miss those guys, but it's good for something new, too. So, we'll see how it works out."