Tuesday, July 21, 2009

USC Salkehatchie athletics gearing up to start back~


I am sure that many of you have become accustomed to checking the blog often for news about USC Salkehatchie athletics. I thought that I should explain during the summer, we don't have much news to report. I have posted everything that we have going on and I appreciate all the emails asking when the blog will be back in full swing.

As the summer draws to it's glorious conclusion, we are preparing for USC Salkehatchie men's and women's soccer. The soccer teams will start preparing for the season on August 18th. The players will be going through workouts with head coach Bill Glass. When I started as the sports information director at USC Salkehatchie, I didn't understand the first thing about soccer. I grew up as many of you reading the blog, playing the three major sports in America basketball, baseball and football. I knew that soccer existed as I watched Pele back as a child but I didn't understand the game as I thought it was something enjoyed more by countries overseas.

When I went to my first USC Salkehatchie soccer match, I began to witness the passion in which the players play the game. I watched as they ran and ran and even ran more throughout the match. I have always loved American football but at the very first match, I began to look at soccer in a much different light. It amazed me at the athletic ability of those playing the game, I could tell that they had to have as much if not more agility than football players.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have learned many things about soccer but I still am unsure about many aspects of the game. It is that lack of knowledge that makes soccer so enjoyable, it is learning something new about the game every time the Indians step on the field of play.

I hope that you will give USC Salkehatchie soccer a try this season if you haven't been able to make it to a match, you will be pleasantly surprised.

In the fall, the Lady Indians softball team will get in a few games as they gear up for the spring as will the Indians baseball team.

We will be printing media guides for all sports again this season, if you would like to purchase a copy they will be available at all home games.

This season, we are especially excited about USC Salkehatchie basketball. USC Salkehatchie men's head coach Travis Garrett has been working all summer recruiting some of the best players in the country and from overseas. Last season the Indians won the regular season Region X title and this season it is not out of the realm of possibility the Indians could be in Hutchinson, Kansas playing in the national NJCAA tournament.

I hope that you will continue to check the blog often and once August rolls around, we will be back in full swing. Please don't forget to check the official USC Salkehatchie athletic website at www.uscsalkathletics.com , Dawn Rizer does a wonderful job at compiling all the information about USC Salkehatchie athletics and getting out to the fans.

I want you to remember that it is you the fans that make USC Salkehatchie what it has become, one of the best junior college programs in the nation~

GO INDIANS!!!