Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Indians ink another USC Salkehatchie women's soccer player~


By CAM HUFFMAN

Sports Editor

PETTICOAT JUNCTION -- Beronica Lopez wasn't expecting her soccer career to last beyond high school. The Silver Bluff senior was basically playing the game for fun and really didn't see it as a potential ticket to college.


Then Bill Glass showed up at one of the Lady Bulldogs' games. The USC Salkehatchie head coach immediately identified Lopez's talent and saw the forward as a player that could help his program.

"I appreciated the aggressiveness that she has and the energy that she put into the game," said Glass. "I thought she had the potential to be a good college soccer player, and I thought that starting out at a Junior College would help."After some discussion, the process was finalized, and on Wednesday Lopez signed her official letter of intent to play at USC Salkehatchie.


"I was really nervous at first, but now I'm just excited," said Lopez after receiving congratulations from Silver Bluff athletic director Al Lown. "I was intent to just play high school, and I really didn't think I was good enough to play college soccer until he came."Lopez indicated that she expected increased intensity and time of practice to be the biggest adjustment at the college level, but according to Glass, the hard work usually pays off in the end.