Thursday, June 3, 2010

USC Salkehatchie baseball signs player from Bluffton High School~


By SAM McDOWELL

When deciding where to continue his athletic career, Travis Boulware was looking for a place that would provide a challenge.
He found a rather familiar one at USC-Salkehatchie, where he signed a letterof intent Wednesday to play college baseball next fall.


Boulware plans to compete for a starting position at USC-Salkehatchie, much like he's had to do his last two years at Bluffton High School.


"I think I'm going to go in there and work hard and try to take over," Boulware said. "I don't know who they have starting right now, but I'm ready to go take the job."


Boulware spent the majority of his junior year with the Bobcats as a backup before earning his way into the lineup this season. He stayed there for the year and hit .268 and provided some power, hitting three home runs and a triple.


"I learned that you have to keep working hard, no matter what your current situation is," Boulware said. "I still worked hard for my senior year. I toughed it out and got ready for my senior year. ... I'll play in the preseason (at USC-Salkehatchie) and try to prove myself there."
Name: Travis Boulware


High school: Bluffton High School
Sport: Baseball
High school coach: Bryant Kitty
Position: First base
College: USC-Salkehatchie

Probable major: Undecided


About USC-Salkehatchie: Competing in the National Junior College Athletic Association, the Indians finished 13-41-1 in 2010 under coach Bubba Dorman.
Why USC-Salkehatchie: "It's a small school, so it will be easier for me to get good grades," Boulware said. "Classes are capped at 30 students, so I can get help with my schoolwork and I like the idea of teachers knowing me."


Other schools that offered scholarships: Charleston Southern
Other high school sports played: None