Friday, December 12, 2008

USC Salkehatchie athletics update!

I was asked by someone in the community yesterday about USC Salkehatchie athletics and how everything seemed to be going. USC Salkehatchie athletics are as strong as ever, we have a record number of athletes interested in attending
next year and several others that have given verbal commitments. We have a large number of athletes out for each sport this season. I think in this economic downturn we are experiencing, many students will chose smaller campuses to attend both for financial and proximity reasons. I have stated this many times both on this blog and to many people in the community, USC Salkehatchie is here to stay. USC Salkehatchie provides students in this area with a great opportunity to further their education, while staying close to home.

If you take a look at our official athletic website, you will see that we attract students from around the country and even around the world. I would take our coaching staff and put them against any Division 1 coach in the nation. I said this in my blog several months ago but I feel the need to say it again, our coaches actually care about their players.

When a parent sends their child away to college, fear is sometimes a factor. As a parent myself, I know that when my daughter left home for the first time, I worried about her and her well being.

At USC Salkehatchie, I have seen our coaches interact with a child that is home-sick , I have seen them talk with the athlete that is worried about his or her grades and give them that much needed vote of confidence. I am just a small player in the large scheme of things but I have nothing but the utmost respect for the coaches at this university.

How easy would it be for the coaches to think like many others in our society? They could say, they have parents let them call them. I have seen coaches at every level of athletics have this type of attitude but not the coaches at USC Salkehatchie. As a parent and a fan of USC Salkehatchie athletics, this means the world to me.

So, to answer the question of several fans, things are great and we are looking forward to the remainder of the basketball season and the start of the softball and baseball seasons. Hope to see you all out at a game soon!