Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My first five months as SID at USC Salkehatchie, have been great!

I grew up in Bamberg, SC only about 23-miles from Allendale. I had heard of USC Salkehatchie growing up and even had many friends that attended the school. It was back in 1989 that I tried out for their baseball team but later decided to go elsewhere to play college baseball.
I had heard stories from friends about USC Salkehatchie being one huge family, a place that you could feel right at home but I never experienced it for myself. On April 13th, 2008 that all changed when I took the job as part-time sports information director at the university.

I had been working with a local newspaper as their sports editor and I grew up a huge fan of all sports but I knew nothing about being an SID. In the first few weeks, I was afforded the opportunity to attend the national sports information directors of America conference in Tampa, Florida. The trip was so informative and the information that I learned on the trip has been invaluable.

Once I returned, I jumped right in and began my journey here at the university and it has been the best decision that I have ever made in my life. I have met so many great people around the university, it truly is a family atmosphere. I came in at a great time, the university had just appointed Mrs. Jane Brewer as their new athletic director, a fine choice I must say.
Mrs. Brewer understands people and that is such a plus for the athletic department. She understands that to grow, we must become a family, as we are working towards the same goal, to become the best.


Over the past few months here at the university, we have designed a new website, all in thanks to the hard work of Mrs. Dawn Rizer, located on the Walterboro campus.


We just published our first media guide for the soccer programs. I would like to take a moment to thank everyone that made this possible, Mrs. Jane Brewer, the advertisers, Marian Easterlin and the coaches.


We have also launched this blog as a compliment to our website, to keep parents, alumni and fans updated on all the happenings with our athletic teams.

I hope that as the year progresses, you as a fan, parent or supporter will take a moment and come out to one of our athletic events. I expect that you will be pleasantly surprised with the quality of athletes that attend USC Salkehatchie and with our athletic facilities.

One last note, I want to thank all the coaches at USC Salkehatchie for making my job that much easier because without your help, I don't know what I would have done.

I hope to see you out at a game soon!