Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chemistry at USC-Salkehatchie key for Cocuzza


Devon Cocuzza wasn't necessarily looking to continue her soccer career beyond high school. But one visit from USC-Salkehatchie coach Bill Glass changed that.
Glass spotted Bluffton High School's goalkeeper in the Bobcats' first tournament of the season and convinced her to visit the junior college campus. Turns out, that was enough for Cocuzza.



"I got to practice alongside the girls there, and they were great," Cocuzza said. "They all worked together really well. And that's what I look for in a team. If you have chemistry right off the bat, that means a lot."



Cocuzza hopes to add to it next season. She signed a letter of intent Wednesday to attend the two-year program and play for the Indians in the fall.
Cocuzza said she plans to compete for the starting goalie position but may end up shifting to the midfield to better fit the team.
"I love both positions, so I don't really care where they put me," Cocuzza said."Just the fact that I get to go and play soccer anywhere is an achievement for me. I'm excited about that."



Name: Devon Cocuzza
High school: Bluffton High School
Sport: Soccer
Position: Goalie/midfielder
College: USC-Salkehatchie
Probable major: Nursing Read more:
http://www.islandpacket.com/2010/05/20/1245959/chemistry-at-usc-salkehatchie.html#ixzz0oUg1gTnd