Monday, May 31, 2010

Chilsom headed to USC Salkehatchie


by Travis Jenkins
tjenkins@onlinechester.com

Corliss Chisholm said she'll miss her daughter, Lashera, when she goes away to college, but she'll miss something else too.
“I won't have anybody to fuss with,” she joked. “It's OK, though. I can go see her. I love to travel.”
She won't have to travel too far to visit, or fuss, since her daughter will stay in-state. Chisholm signed on Wednesday to play soccer at USC-Salkehatchie in Allendale.
Chisholm said that soccer coach Jamie Counterman sent film of her to the school. She heard from the school's coaches not long after that.
“They were the first ones that called me about playing soccer,” Chisholm said.
Chisholm said she badly wanted to play at the college level. She's been playing the sport for 13 years and wasn't ready to give it up.
“I love everything about it. It keeps me in shape, it helps me with my attitude a little bit and I really like working with my teammates,” Chisholm said.
Bonding with those she's on the field with is extremely important to Chisholm. She went down to the Salkehatchie campus for a workout and said she got along with the team's players very well. That actually played a pivotal role, she said, in her decision to accept Salkehatchie's offer. Another positive for the school was its small size.
“There's not a whole lot of students,” Chisholm said. “That let's you interact with professors more.”
After her two years in Allendale, Chisholm said she'd like to transfer to Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte to keep playing soccer and continue to work towards becoming a pediatrician. Being in Charlotte would mean an even shorter drive for her mother to visit, or fuss a little.
“I stay on her a whole lot, but I love her and I'm very proud of her.”