Wednesday, July 21, 2010

USC Salkehatchie basketball lands 6'4 player from England

(Press release from Dorking, England media)

Dorking teenager, James Swaine has won a prestigious basketball scholarship to the University of South Carolina Salkehatchie. Whilst completing a business studies degree in the USA, he will play Division 1 basketball for the USC Salkehatchie Indians in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA).

James, aged 19, has always wanted to pursue a career in basketball, and is now one step closer to his dream. Whilst at the University of South Carolina Salkehatchie, James will be coached as part of the team and train every weekday, playing games at the weekend. Head coach Travis Garrett at USC Salkehatchie is, a highly respected coach with a reputation for selecting exceptional talent.

David Blow, Head of Ashcombe School which James attended, commented: “We were delighted to hear the news. James was a keen and talented basketball player at the school and we wish him well in this fantastic opportunity.”

Whilst at Ashcombe School, James, who is 6ft 4, trained several times a week with the Guildford Heat. Since joining the Heat Academy at the age of 15, he has played in both their Under 16s and Under 18s National League teams and was frequently the leading scorer in the team.

James comments, “I was delighted when I learned that Coach Garrett has offered me a place on his championship winning team. I look forward to showing what I can do, and will work tirelessly both on and off the court to achieve my ambition. “This opportunity is a big step for which I am grateful; it gives me the chance to take my game to the next level. If all goes well then I hope to progress and play at the very highest level”.

Coach Garrett added, “I'm truly looking forward and excited to having James as a member of our basketball family here at USC Salkehatchie. With hard work, I think he will become a very good player and have a chance of playing Division 1 basketball”.

James’ journey begins on 29th July 2010 when he leaves Dorking to move to South Carolina.