Saturday, October 30, 2010

Hard to say goodbye~


At each seasons end we have to say good-bye to players that will move on to continue their playing careers or further their education.


As this soccer season comes to an end, it is a tough one. The women's soccer season was ended by a score of 1-0 in the 110th minute in the Region X tournament, after the young ladies poured their hearts and souls into the game.


They fought until the final moment and when it was over, tears were shed even by myself. I watched as each player hugged one another in an embrace not only because they lost the game but because it was their last moment as teammates.


I watched this season as the team struggled to form an identity, they lost some games in the beginning but after they learned one another I witnessed a special bond.


I felt today as the sophomores left the field it was goodbye and I didn't like it. I became selfish for a moment because I thought of myself and knew that this team was made up of special young ladies. After that brief moment, a smile came across my face, I knew that these same young ladies from all over the country and around the world will one day become productive members of society.


I am sure some of you are asking, how does he know? I have watched them for the past two seasons not only mature on the field but around campus. I have watched as one young lady that wouldn't say a word last year became one of the most vocal leaders I have ever seen.


This job brings me so much joy, I sometimes feel as though I should be paying USC Salkehatchie. How often do you get to do something you love and enjoy the satisfaction of young people becoming young adults?


I want to thank USC Salkehatchie head coach Bill Glass and assistant Alex Glass for all they have done for the Indians this season. They work many hours to make sure that not only do their players become better soccer players but they are their mom, dad, counselor and etc away from home, but most of all their friend.


Class of 2011, you will always be a special group to me, not only the young ladies but also the men soccer players.


I have said this before but I will say it again, if you haven't had the chance to witness a sporting event at USC Salkehatchie, you should come out and do so. You will see players as they progress on the field and off. Take it from me, it is something to behold.


As always and forever, GO INDIANS!!!