Wednesday, October 8, 2008

College athletics, they don't just happen.

I was asked several times the past few days, when I was going to write another article for the blog. I thought about that question today and I want to share something with you, college athletics don't just happen. You may be asking yourself what does he mean? I have always enjoyed watching college football, baseball, basketball and other college sports both in person and on television.

I will have to say that I had never really thought or knew what went into making the games happen. Yes, I played college baseball but all I knew as a player was that I had to attend classes and practice, then games. Since becoming the sports information director, I have a better understanding of what it takes and I would like to share it with you.

I have learned that coaches not only go to practice and games but they work just as hard as normal everyday people,if not harder. I thought once their season ended, it was all easy street, boy was I wrong. The job of a college coach is never ending, first they have to find players that want to attend their respective university. They start by finding kids that are interested in our university and some that are unsure where they want to attend after graduating high school. Once they make their initial contact, they have to keep in touch with the player throughout the year.

Many times this means phone calls, emails, letters and other things. Once a player decides to attend, you have to get the player to sign a letter of intent. The players then arrives on campus often scared and unsure of themselves and then the real work begins. The coach has to make sure the players has housing, that they don't become homesick and most importantly that they learn their respective sport. I have found it amazing how the coaches at USC Salkehatchie take and mold these young men and women into the players they become. Don't forget that coaches also have to schedule teams for the upcoming season, it seeems like it never ends.

I thought before my arrival at USC Salkehatchie that media guides, schedule cards and banners just magically appeared in my mailbox and around college campuses. I know better now as I have had to do all of this, with the help of many people at USC Salkehatchie, it is hard work.

I never really thought of all the work an athletic director at a university must do to make sure things are ran properly. At USC Salkehatchie the athletic director and her assistant is responsible for sending eligibility forms to the NJCAA in order to make sure all our athletes are eligible. Their job includes, making sure the buses are scheduled to carry the players and least not forget scheduling the drivers. Her job involves long hours of watching games and making sure that everyone is happy, safe and in the loop. I applaud our athletic director at USC Salkehatchie, she stays on top of things but at the same time, she is caring and that means everything to both the players and coaches.

I was sure that a magical fairy made the athletic website and blog come to life each week and day. I have found this to not be true, as I have watched our official website person work hard every week to make sure the content is correct and up to date, she does a wonderful job.

Now, the concession stands at games have to be the work of some special powers at be, I thought. I, was again wrong when I found out we have an actual person that makes sure all your goodies are ordered each week and that all the shirts, hats and other items are ready for the fans.

I was shocked to find out that all of this was actually done by real live people, ones that have nothing but love for the players and fans they serve. I have found out that many times they work long extra hours, not for pay but for their love of USC Salkehatchie. I would take our group at USC Salkehatchie and put them up against any college or university in this great country of ours.

Lastly, none of the above would be possible without the love and support that we receive from our fans. Our fans are great and for that I am thankful. Our fans often have to endure long drives to watch the games and again, I am thankful for that kind of dedicated support.

So, the next time you are out at a game or watching on television think about the people that make it all possible, they do it all for you the fan.