Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic day in America as President Obama takes office


I am aware this is a sports blog about USC Salkehatchie Indians athletics but today I witnessed something of historic proportions, I thought I would share with you.

As I drove to work today, I wondered if our youth really understood what today meant for all the men and women that had come before them.


My question was quickly answered once I arrived on campus and made my way down to the student lounge. I was shocked and in awe at the number of students that had gathered to witness this historical moment. As the ceremony began, I watched as one by one put down their phones and silence fell over the room. As, I looked around the room, some had tears in their eyes, while others sat in solemn silence as they took in President Obama's every word. The President's speech seemed to give the students hope for things to come in the future.


In these tough economic times, it gave me a hope to watch the students as they hung on his every word. I knew it would be these same young men and women that will one day lead our great nation. I then looked at our professors as they too took in the moment with a sense of pride at the number of students in attendance.


I am so proud of this great nation, I am proud to know that no matter how bad things get, we have youth in this country, like the ones that attend USC Salkehatchie to lead us into the future. I often speak about the athletes we have here at USC Salkehatchie but the everyday students are just as amazing. Many volunteer in the community through the Student Government Association, many work a part-time job, just to pay for their education.


So, today as the United States of America prepares to go forward with their 44th President in place, think of our youth. I ask you to think about another time in history were you can recall so many young people excited about the future of our great nation. As a nation we will survive, we will move forward and we will succeed and in the end, we can thank our youth, especially our students here at USC Salkehatchie for putting education first.