Friday, June 12, 2009

Battery Creek soccer player signs with USC-Salkehatchie

As crazy as it sounds, Amanda Diaz is now thankful for her time as a little-used reserve within the Battery Creek High School girls basketball program. After all, it was this lack of playing time that led Diaz to pick up soccer two years ago.


Now, Diaz can thank her newest sport for paving the way to a college opportunity. After two solid years of leading the Dolphins' soccer team from several positions, the senior will play soccer at USC-Salkehatchie next season.



"I never thought that I'd be good enough to get noticed," said Diaz, who expects to play defender in college, "so when (USC-Salkehatchie) coach (Bill Glass) started contacting me, I was pretty surprised, but happy at the same time."
Diaz's evolving skills from the defender, midfield and forward spots also caught the attention of fellow NJCAA schools Columbia College and Louisburg College in North Carolina. But the chance to play closer to home drew Diaz to the Indians program.



"I'm excited to have the chance to play in college," Diaz said, "and I'm really excited that I get to play against those same other schools that tried recruiting me as well."



As the team's lone senior for the 2009 campaign, Diaz tallied three goals and helped lead the Dolphins to their first playoff appearance in school history.


To view the complete story, Go to the link below at the Islandpacket.com


http://www.islandpacket.com/sports/local/story/859238.html