Friday, December 4, 2009

2009~"What a special season for USC Salkehatchie Indians soccer"



I have been thinking about what I should say about the 2009 soccer season for several weeks now. I thought back to August when I first met the players, I met them at the library to take photos for the media guide.

I remember as one by one, they came out to have their individual photo taken. I know to them, it didn't mean much but to me, it gave me a chance to meet each and everyone of them. I don't travel to away games but I watched them practice and I attended all the home games, I watched as they fought through the August heat in order to hone in their soccer skills. It has amazed me every year that players want to continue playing after high school, I mean why? The players sweat, shed tears and work harder than anyone on a college campus. While other students worry about history, math and biology, soccer players and other athletes have to worry about that plus practice.


I have said this since becoming the sports information director at USC Salkehatchie but it impresses me each year watching our athletes. If you didn't play college athletics it is impossible to understand the commitment it takes to succeed in your sport. I watched as both the men's and women's soccer teams exceeded even their own expectations and advanced to the Region X tournament in Louisburg, North Carolina. Both teams advanced further than any soccer teams in the history of USC Salkehatchie soccer.


It is not any easy task to advance to the Region X tournament and to do so, says wonders about the direction of our soccer programs. USC Salkehatchie mens and women's head coach Bill Glass has assembled some of the best talent in the NJCAA and to him, I say congratulations on a great season. I hope if you are a fan or a parent, you will always look back on the 2009 USC Salkehatchie soccer season and remember what a special season it was, indeed.

Trent Kinard USC Salkehatchie Sports Information Director