Saturday, May 2, 2009

Lady Indians fall to Surry Community College but not without fight


The USC Salkehatchie Lady Indians have been knocked out of the 2008-2009 Region X tournament in Hartsville, South Carolina. The Lady Indians fought hard against Surry Community College but two errors which resulted in two unearned runs, cost the Lady Indians much like they did on Friday in game 1 against Pitt Community College.


The Lady Indians went with Cea Knox on the mound for the third time in the tournament and she pitched a great game but again errors were the Lady Indians downfall.


The Lady Indians finish the regular season with an overall record of 23-22, the best record in USC Salkehatchie Lady Indians softball history. The USC Salkehatchie Lady Indians softball program has only been around for three years. I have to take my hat off to this great group of young ladies as they were one of the best group, I have ever seen at USC Salkehatchie.


I am not taking anything away from past teams but this team came together and worked as a unit, from day one.


Coach Smith said after the game, "It hurts when you lose out but I am also filled with pride because our girls fought hard in all 3-games today. It is tough to play 3-games in one day and win them all. If we would have won out today, it would have been a 4-game journey to win the Region X championship on Sunday and that is tough. I will miss these girls as I am with them all the time and we are a family. I love each and everyone of them as if they were my own child. I want to say to the sophomores thank you for playing your hearts out, I'll never forget the effort you gave me for two years."


Coach Smith will now hit the recruiting trail over the summer and get ready for next season. Coach Smith has already signed several players for next season. If you would like to see the players signed to play at USC Salkehatchie next year, go to www.uscsalkathletics.com the official website for USC Salkehatchie athletics.

I will try and post more stats from this weekend's tournament on Monday. I will post the Region X tournament Champion tomorrow afternoon after the games are completed.