Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sit down with USC Salkehatchie Coach Travis Garrett prior to tonight's game against Brunswick CC

I had the opportunity to it down with USC Salkehatchie head coach Travis Garrett this after only mere hours prior to his team's match-up with Brunswick Community College, below is what he said.


Q: Coach Garrett are you nervous going into the Region X tournament?


A: No, I feel like I have done my job and prepared these guys the best I can. I have never really been one to get nervous prior to a game.



Q: What is the key to a team's success?


A: That is a great question, you have to have leaders that understand not only the game but his teammates. You see teams like Aiken Technical College and they have bought in to coach Bruce Capers and with 9-players they are looking good. So, I guess you need team chemistry in order to become a successful team.


Q: What will be the key's tonight against Brunswick?


A: We will need to come out with intensity. Brunwick CC is a very well coached team, they are disciplined and don't make many mistakes. I know it is going to be hard to beat a good team three times in one season. I am sure they are fired up because they had a 13-point lead with 1:09 left to play at our place and let it slip away, they will be ready to play.


Q: You know the old saying "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink", how does that apply to a basketball team.


A: Well, you can only prepare a team. I used to want to play for them when I started in coaching but I had to realize that I can't. It is up to the players to have that want factor and now it's time for them to drink.


Q: Your team didn't win a Region game in February, how does that affect you and the players?


A: Oh, it was an embarrassing month no doubt. I knew we had talent but we just couldn't get over that hump. I have told the players that starting today, nothing else matters. We could be 37-0 going into this tournament but if we lost one game, we would be done. I think my guys understand this tournament is almost like a lifeline and it is up to them to make the best out of it.


Coach thanks for sitting down with me this afternoon and good luck tonight and hopefully throughout the rest of the tournament.