Saturday, March 13, 2010

Battery Creek soccer player signs with USC-Salkehatchie


By BRANDON PARKER

Beaufort Gazette

For the sake of formality and confirmation, Jessica Vido carefully signed the dotted line Thursday to play soccer at USC-Salkehatchie next fall. But in the mind of this Battery Creek senior, she had become part of the Indians program some time ago.

All it took was the sight of her older sister, Jordan, playing for USC-Salkehatchie and one campus visit during her sophomore year for Jessica Vido to fall in love with this NJCAA school.
"My sister has a huge heart and I really look up to her, so to see her go there and play really inspired me," Vido said. "I really like the small town and home feel that I got when I visited there, and the chance to be play early at the next level was something that drew me in."
And it was Vido's versatility on the field that drew in Indians coach Bill Glass. In her three years of varsity play, Vido has excelled at nearly every position, leading the Dolphins in scoring during her sophomore season while also seeing time at goalie and on defense during the past two campaigns.


Glass plans to use Vido at the forward position in order to highlight her scoring ability, which she showcased Tuesday with two goals in the Dolphins' season opener.


"She's a fearless, aggressive player and it's great to have someone who can play multiple positions," said Glass, whose team went 7-8-2 in his second season as coach. "Battery Creek seems to generate some strong soccer players and I'm sure Jessica will add to that strong legacy."