Thursday, March 5, 2009

Indians Region X title hopes dashed against Region X Rival-Denmark Technical College FINAL 79-67

UPDATED:
Final Score Denmark Tech:79, USC Salkehatchie 67


Denmark Technical College must feel like the third time is the charm. The USC Salkehatchie Indians had twice beaten the Panthers both at home and in Denmark, SC but after traveling over 4 hours away, the Panthers ended the Indians season in one game.


In the first three minutes, the Indians took an early lead 27-7 before either team had the chance to break a sweat. The Indians would go into the half with the lead but only by a small margin.





The score at half-time was USC Salkehatchie 37, Denmark Technical College 33.



After the half-many of you may have noticed we lost signal from Brunswick Community College, I apologize for this, it was due to a technical issue with the Brunswick Community College Internet service. If I had known we had lost service through their Internet service, I would normally use my phone to call in the game. In the new gym, it was impossible to get a cell signal and calling the game in was not an option.



The Indians would come out in the second half and again go on a 9-point run but it was at that point the Panthers decided to slow things down and spread out their offense.



They went to four corners and once they did, the Indians season was over. Justin Booker of the Panthers would sink 7- three pointers down the stretch to seal the Panthers victory.





"I am very disappointed in the way we played tonight. If you don't understand that this is a huge game, you deserve to lose, plain and simple. I know that it will sting for several days but we will bounce back, get on the recruiting trail and get ready for next season. I hate it for the sophomores that have worked hard to get to this point and for the freshman, they need to work hard and learn for tonight's mistakes. I want to thank everyone at USC Salkehatchie for all their support all season, it has meant a lot to me and the guys. I feel as USC Salkehatchie is a family and I have never felt that way at any other school in which I have been a part of, I know we can make something special here at USC Salkehatchie and you can bet that I will work harder than ever to make that happen," said USC Salkehatchie head coach Travis Garrett.




The host team Brunswick Community College was having a party tonight as they prepared for their first game ever on their campus.




The tournament which was held in the Brunswick Community College's new 54,000-square foot Athletic and Aquatic Center on campus in Supply, N.C. Since the program began 13 years ago, Brunswick C.C. has played its home games at local high schools in the county.




I must say that Brunswick Community College was a great host and on behalf of the USC Salkehatchie athletic department, we would like to thank them for their hospitality.



I am sorry that we don't have the actual final score at this time. The scoreboard at Brunswick Community College went out right before the end of the game, as they were experiencing technical difficulties all evening. The gym was just opened on Sunday as it had to be approved by the North Carolina inspectors. When I last looked at the score board, it looked as though the final was Denmark Technical College 79, USC Salkehatchie 67.





I will have the complete score tomorrow, once coach Garrett or myself can figure out the actual final score. I am embarrassed that we don't have the actual final score for you tonight and I can assure you that the Internet connect problems we experienced won't happen again and I hope you will listen to future broadcasts of USC Salkehatchie Lady Indians softball and USC Salkehatchie baseball, LIVE over the blog.





We will have pictures and a complete write-up from the Region X tournament next week on http://www.uscsalkathletics.com/ the official USC Salkehatchie athletic website.