Saturday, April 18, 2009

Symone Nettles (Lamar, SC) Makes USC Salkehatchie Lady Indians Softball History

*Notice*

On Thursday of this past week, freshman Symone Nettles (Lamar,SC) hit 3-home runs in one game, against Aiken Technical College, Aiken-South Carolina . I was asked today by a fan, why I didn't have a blog post about her accomplishment.

First of all, I will explain to everyone again, I will NEVER try and leave a players accomplishment off the blog or the athletic website.

Now, let me explain why I haven't written about this before today. On the day that Symone hit the 3-home runs, I was on the phone with the NJCAA the moment she hit her 3rd of the game, even as the ball was clearing the fence.

I was on the phone with the NJCAA's -Sports Information Director Mark Kruig asking him if 3-home runs in a single game by a freshman was an NJCAA record.

He was unsure and once the game was over, I went back to the office to check their record book on-line and all I can find is tournament records but nothing about a single game home run record.

I am waiting on a call back from Mr. Kruig and if I don't hear from him, I will contact him on Monday, about whether this is or is not a NJCAA record. If it is not an NJCAA record, it is FOR FACT a USC Salkehatchie Lady Indians record and for that we salute Symone for all her accomplishments on the field this season.

I want to say again , I will leave things off the blog from time to time and I thank fans and family members for contacting me about my missteps. I love doing the blog but it takes a lot of my personal time to keep it going. I am not really required by USC Salkehatchie to even have a blog but I suggested it, to keep you the fan, updated on a daily basis.

I know that freshman Symone Nettles will be recognized many times throughout her career at USC Salkehatchie and beyond once she moves on to another school. We are very thankful that we have such a great player but not only that, a great person. I have been around Symone many times at practice, during games and around campus and she is never one to toot her own horn or one that complains when things aren't going her way.

Again, congratulations to freshman Symone Nettles (Lamar, SC) for breaking the all-time single game home run record at USC Salkehatchie.