Thursday, April 23, 2009

USC Salkehatchie Update from the Sports Information Department


We are drawing near the end our baseball and softball seasons, as we finish up at home this weekend.


I wanted to thank everyone for all their input throughout the season. I have been sports information director at USC Salkehatchie for a year. I know that things have been slow in getting out sometimes and we may have missed some information but the year has been a learning experience for myself.

USC Salkehatchie started it's sports program back in 1967 with a basketball team and as time passed, it was left up to the coach to get the information out to the public.

In Region X, only 2 or 3 other schools have an actual sports information director, many schools use someone that has several other jobs within the university to get the information out to the public. According to Mark Kruig the official NJCAA sports information director only around 75-100 schools in the entire NJCAA have an official sports information director.

Over the years, the athletic department has grown to five sports and our athletic director Mrs. Jane Brewer and our Dean Dr. Ann Carmichael both understood the need for a sports information department.

In the past few years, the USC Salkehatchie athletic program has grown from 1-sport (Baseball) to now, 5-sports.

We now offer as everyone knows, men's and women's soccer, baseball, softball and basketball.

In this past year, we have had to start from scratch on keeping up with records, finding older photographs (Big thanks to Marian Easterlin) and starting the new website and blog. I went to Tampa, Florida last year to the National COSIDA convention. COSIDA is the national sports information organization and by going to the national meetings, I was able to learn a lot about sports information and how to keep good records among other things that has been very valuable to me as this season.

With all that said, I am sure that we have made mistakes throughout the season but over-all it seems as things have improved, according to our recent poll. The website www.uscsalkathletics.com is updated each Friday. Dawn Rizer from our Walterboro Campus does a wonderful job in getting all the information together and making sure it gets on the official website.

We set up this blog to update fans each day about the happenings within USC Salkehatchie athletics. I have received many emails from fans and parents that have been so supportive of all the work that has been put in this season to keep you informed .

I hope to be able to offer many more things for the fans and parents of USC Salkehatchie athletics next season and I see them all or some becoming a reality. In time, you will be able to order merchandise straight from our main athletic website with many clothing items to chose from.

I also hope to have a photograph website set up next season, a website that you as a parent can go and order photo's that are taken at each game. If the plan goes through, a 5X7 photograph of your child will cost you around $2.50.

I would love to be able to broadcast more games next season for the parent's that don't live within driving distance and I see this as a reality by next season.

I am in the works of obtaining a video camera and if this happens, we may be able to video broadcast some games live, if not live we hope to be able to rebroadcast games after they are played.

So, as you can see things are on the upswing for USC Salkehatchie athletics and we are always looking for ways to keep you the fan informed.

Now on to the student-athletes here at USC Salkehatchie. As a parent of one of our athletes, you should be extremely proud of your child. I have had the pleasure of meeting every athlete we have here at the university and I can tell you this, we have a great group of young men and women here at USC Salkehatchie.

One would think that at every school, they would have at least one bad apple, I can't say that about our student-athletes and that says a lot about you the parent.

I will keep you updated as we get ready to start the Region X tournaments and we will have updates from the games this weekend, the last at home this season.

As always, if you have a question, complaint or something nice to say, my email is always open to you the fan or parent.

I hope that you will spread the word about USC Salkehatchie athletics and let other fans and parents know that we keep the blog updated daily. I have heard from parents at games, they didn't even know we had a blog.

I want fans to know that during the summer, I will be updating the blog with signings and other USC Salkehatchie athletic information. I will try to update it everyday but some days, things may be slow and we may not have much new information.

I will add for the returning players, check the blog often as the coaches will probably ask me from time to time to post information that will be valuable to you.

We will be hosting summer camps for all the youth in the area and beyond, as soon as I get the information about our camps, the information will be posted both to the blog and the official USC Salkehatchie website.

Until next time, see you Saturday and Sunday at the games!
GO INDIANS!!!