Tuesday, February 24, 2009

History made at Benedict College today by USC Salkehatchie sophomore~Pitcher, Cea Knox


USC Salkehatchie sophomore pitcher Cea Knox (Myrtle Beach, South Carolina) made school history today by becoming the first Lady Indian to pitch a no-hitter.


Knox, who was selected by the NJCAA as a pre-season top returning pitcher and position player (1B) by the NJCAA for district J-Region X, and today she proved she was worthy of the selection.

In a game against NCAA Division II Benedict College out of Columbia, South Carolina, Cea came out an threw her heart out. In a game on Saturday in Aiken, South Carolina in the Ringor Invitational, she was hit by a line-drive and was questionable going in today's game.

With her team behind her, she pitched a game for the record books and from this day forward she will always be remembered as the first Lady Indian to throw a no-hitter in school history.

USC Salkehatchie head coach Mitch Smith said, "This no-hitter was a complete team effort. The girls played their hearts out and rallied around Cea to make this happen, I am so proud of this entire team. I know what we are capable of and today proved it. I can't wait to see how the rest of this season plays out."

I have checked the NJCAA record books and I am waiting on a reply from Mark Krug, the NJCAA sports information director on an answer. I can't find a single no-hitter in a Division 1 softball tournament game but I find one in Division 2 and several in Division 3. I know this was not a tournament game but it will be interesting to see how many no-hitters are thrown throughout a season in any division. I will post my findings as soon as they become available.

On behalf of the USC Salkehatchie athletic department, we would like to congratulate Cea Knox and the entire Lady Indians softball team on today's feat.